Sunday, July 29, 2012

Do you ever have those days...?


Do you ever have those days where you're so happy you just want to dance and shout and literally leap with joy?



…Me either. But sometimes I experience brief moments like that. Lately, I've been having those moments more often. Whether that's because life is genuinely better or because I'm trying so hard to make it better, I can't tell. But it's all basically the same, right? I read somewhere that if you tell yourself something's true long enough, eventually you'll trick yourself into believing it. So I'm telling myself over and over again that life is great. I'm telling myself over and over again that I'm happy. I'm telling myself over and over and over again that change is a good thing. 

"People are always saying that change is a 
good thing. But all they're really saying is that
something you didn't want to happen at all… 
has happened." - Kathleen Kelly, You've Got Mail

I've never been one to embrace change. So when I found out last month that I'd be moving (again) I wasn't terribly excited. When my family moves, we buy a house that needs a lot (and I mean A LOT) of work and we'll live there for as long as it takes to fix it up. Once it's all nice and everyone's just started to get really settled, we sell it and move on. Having done this 4 times already, the novelty of the whole experience has worn off. When I was nine, living out of cardboard boxes and sleeping on a mattress on the floor seemed like a great big adventure. Now, living out of my big plastic tub and sleeping on my army cot (I've upgraded my moving equipment a bit over the years) isn't exactly my idea of fun. Especially not when I have to get up and go to work or Driver's Ed each morning and scramble around to find a toothbrush or a bowl and spoon for cereal (by the way mixing bowls and measuring spoons will get the job done and add a nice flair of desperation to your morning). 

All of this makes me seem a bit pessimistic, but I'm not. Okay, I am sometimes. But admit it, you are too. I'll blame my current pessimism on the fact that I'm tired. That seems to be the excuse my generation uses for everything.

Tomorrow's always a new day, it dawns completely fresh and when you wake up you can do anything. Go climb a mountain, finish your book, work on that school project that's due tomorrow- I know, it's summer. But that doesn't mean anything for some of us. Cherish your summer vacation, public schoolers. Some of us poor homeschoolers don't have summer vacation at all. So quit whining about how short yours is and go enjoy it! 

~Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment